quinta-feira, 1 de setembro de 2016

Poetry

"The other book in Spanish was not a translation, but had been written in that language. This was a volume of poems by Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz.

Well, Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz being still another person I suspect I have mentioned.

My reason for suspecting this is that Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was Mexican, and I am quite positive I have spoken of having once lived in Mexico.

Living in Mexico one would naturally have become familiar with the names of certain Mexican poets, even if one did not read the language they wrote in very well.

If one does not read a language very well, one generally reads poetry in that language even less well than that, as a matter of fact.

Although I do believe I once did make an effort to read certain poems by Marco Antonio Montes de Oca, even if the chief reason I did so may have been because of how taken I was with his name.
Certainly it has a memorable resonance, when one says it out loud.

Marco Antonio Montes de Oca."

David Markson (1927-2010). Wittgenstein's Mistress (1988). London: Dalkey Archive Press, 2015, p. 165-166

Nenhum comentário: